Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29, 2010


So this morning at breakfast I decided to draw something that I was unfamiliar with. An animal that most people don't normally associate with being cute or cuddly nor do they think of being something to hang on the wall: A Bornean Orangutan. The Orangutans are a difficult creature to draw and I suppose to some they are beautiful but I will be honest - a majority of the people think that I have spoken with that thought that they were ugly.

Ugly, because the shape of their heads and how they look like they are smooshed in - well to me we are all creatures of a Loving God and I don't believe He makes junk. So for me he is a beautiful animal and I wanted to explore that and bring light into his world.

Yet, while drawing this unique creature I realized that the thing that makes an artist better is the ability to go after something difficult. To draw something that is not beautiful to the world but beautiful to us. To draw something that would be unfamiliar and take us out of our comfort zone. These are the things that make us better.

I recently did a series of paintings on my experience with the Iraq War and there were some tough scenes and I found them difficult but for one to truly advance and grow you must be willing to paint the things that bring pain. By doing so you bring healing to yourself and a message to others. For me I hoped that I brounght that message of peace love and hope.

Well that's all for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment