Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 26th & 27th, 2010 - The Ears and then Pulling it All Together!

So over the past couple of weeks I have been working on my horses. The horses have been a lot of fun and a very interesting study. This Saturday we'll be visiting a friend's ranch and we'll be able to see and feel the horses. It will be a great time.
So yesterday was one of those days where you go here and there and yet there never seems to be enough time. Well for me I don't think it ever stopped! Last night I did get to sit down and work on a sketch of the muscles for the ears and I did a cartilage sketch as well. The ears are just like the human's ear in that if you do a good job on them no one will notice but if you mess up just one little thing....FORGET IT!

So the above drawing were sketches that helped me to understand them, the more you know why, the more natural they will appear.
So today I decided to take all of my studies and bring them together to create a good candidate for the middle panel of my triptych for the charging horses painting.

First, I did a gesture sketch...
Then I did this roaring image of a horse. I loved the muscular build and the emotional feel you get on this one pose. I think it would look great!

Well, check back tomorrow and I'll be posting some images of my latest commissioned piece (below), Jesus' Baptism for the Grace Indepence Church Baptistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment